Monday, May 17, 2010

Experimental Yogurt, Batch 2

   The first batch of yogurt turned into really good smoothies. I tried maker thicker, richer yogurt yesterday. I used evaporated milk and incubated it for 4 hours at 110 degrees F. in the toaster oven, which was a whole lot easier than turning the crock pot on and off. Yesterdays batch of yogurt thickened up nicely, until I stuck a spoon in it to eat. I ended up stirring it up and drinking it. It was good vanilla yogurt, but I think I like it better using regular milk.
   Next batch, I will increase the powdered milk from 1/3 cup to 2/3 cup, and put 1/2 tsp. of unflavored gelatin in the milk before I scald it. I think I will still incubate it at 110 degrees for 4 hours, since I don't like tangy yogurt. I have read I can strain the whey out of the yogurt to make it thicker, but being the lazy person i am, I think I'll skip that.
   If this next batch doesn't thicken up, I will try the whole envelope of unflavored gelatin which is 1 tsp ( I think). I like the toaster oven for incubation. Set the temperature and the timer and come back later.
   I will get the hang of making yogurt in my quest for eating healthier. If I have to just drink it, so be it. You can by drinkable yogurt. I will also make smoothies and try freezing it in my ice cream maker. The research and experimentation continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment