Sunday, July 11, 2010

Darn, Summer Is Finally Here

   Well, at long last, summer is here. Have I mentioned before that I really hate hot weather? I know, I did complain about all the rain, but I'd rather have cooler, overcast days than highs in the upper 80's and higher. We got to 98 a couple of days. Way too hot. Tim, Jake and Chip say it's too hot, also.
   We had homegrown spinach with our dinner tonight. It was a time consuming process picking, washing and blanching 2 bushels of plants. Of course, there wasn't nearly that many leaves, and after it was all blanched, there might have been about a half a gallon of it. Anyway, fresh is much better than the frozen kind I usually buy. I tried to judge how much we would eat when I was dividing it up to be frozen. I came up with 5 servings for 2 people. We might have leftovers some nights, but that's ok. I suppose I could have been really accurate, and measured it all evenly, but I just don't do things that way. Tim just laughed when I told him it was harder work canning the stuff out of the garden than it was rototilling it. Physically, rototilling is harder, but canning is more time consuming and also a lot of hot work, with a lot of standing. I often think I'm crazy for doing this.
   I went cornered the market on canning supplies today, and found more screens for my dehydrator trays. I needed 4 and there are 2 in a package and there were only 2 packages left, so I figured I should go ahead and get them while they were available. If I had waited, knowing my luck, I wouldn't be able to find them.
   For some of my winter stocking up, I am going to make some of those mixes in quart jars, like the gifts in a jar things. A friend and I made some of those and some jelly for Christmas one year. We thought they made good gifts. We made a muffin mix and it called for cloves. Way too many cloves. I scooped them out of my mix.
   Since I was in the spending mood, I also ordered these clipper scissors called Scaredy Cut. They have different hair guides so you can cut the animals hair a certain length. Chip is afraid of clipper noise, but rather likes scissor haircuts, but they are always uneven. (Same thing happened when I cut the kids' hair.) I really don't think Chip cares if his hair is uneven, but I do. I try to keep his hair about a inch long, but I think it needs to be shorter in the summer, and I'll just keep his leg hair shorter all the time. Yes, I did know poodles were high maintenance when I bought him, but he's so cute.
   I still haven't gotten any sewing done, but it's still scattered all over the dinning room for when I get to it. A friend is paying me to make 2 afghans and booties for baby girls two friends of hers are having. They are due in October. More to do. At least I can make simple ones and they can be the same. I went through some of my crochet patters and finally found a nice, quick, easy bootie pattern. I'm really not making much progress making things to sell. Ok, I'm not making any progress.
   Well, winter will be here before you know it, and I'll be stuck in the house, maybe I'll get things made to sell then. Or not.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment