Tuesday, December 28, 2010

All's Well Up Here

   The last few weeks, we have been having 2 different flocks of male turkeys come through and eat who knows what. We can tell they are two different flocks by their size. One group is obviously older since they are much bigger. They look like they would stand about knee high on us. The other flock is smaller and not nearly as heavy. It just dawned on me that we have the male turkeys in the fall and winter and the females in the spring and summer. Beats me why, but I'm sure there is a reason for it. Of course, during turkey hunting season we don't see any. I guess maybe they aren't quite as stupid as I thought.
   Yesterday morning, when Tim was going to work, he saw about 100 deer all in one field, grazing. We usually don't see that many together at one time. They weren't that far from here, either. We have our usual deer and they are comfortable enough to bed down about 50 feet from the front door. Jake and Chip don't faze them, and lately the deer don't faze Jake or Chip, either.
   We also have a pair of woodpeckers that are around a lot. They start out at the compost pile and end up at the tree we have the squirrel feeder on. (The turkeys also like the same spots.) Too bad, the squirrels don't like it. Anyway, we know when we see one of the woodpeckers, the other is close by. I'm pretty sure they are the metal peckers we have on the roof. Right now, I see a few finches in that tree. It's a very popular tree. Wouldn't you know it, every time I get my camera, they all magically disappear.
   Chip has become a storm watcher. He goes from window to window checking out the storm. I'm still pretty sure Chip is nuts. The other night, he spent the evening growling at the second hand on the clock on the wall. I held him up so he could see what it was, and he really checked it out, so I thought that would be the end of it. The clock has been in the same spot since we moved in and he's never done it before, and he hasn't done it again. Tim and I have joked that he sees ghosts.
   We still think it would be nice if a moose or an elk wandered by. Life is slow and quiet up here, just the way we like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment