Sunday, August 29, 2010

Italian Sausage Soup

   Summer seems to have taken a vacation the last couple of days. We even had a frost warning already. Luckily, frost didn't happen. The newscasters were telling people to cover their tomatoes. We did. Lately, especially with the crazy weather, people are really worried about the weather getting really cold before everything in their gardens are ready to pick. Us included. This week, we are only suppose to be in the 60's for our highs, and upper 30's to low 40's for our lows.
   I used up the last of the zucchini that was in the fridge last night. There is still more in the garden. I made Italian Sausage Soup and homemade garlic bread. The recipe for the soup makes a lot, so I don't need to fix dinner for a couple of days. That's ok with me. Maybe since the weather is cooler, I'll get to the cherry preserves.
   Anyway, here is the soup recipe: Italian Sausage Soup
   1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage-(I used bulk, sweet sausage)
   2 cloves garlic, minced or mashed-(of course ours isn't ready to pick, so I had to buy some)
   2 large onions, chopped-(out of the garden)
   1 large (about 28 oz.) Italian-style pear-shaped tomatoes-(would have used fresh out of the garden, but only 1 was ready)
   3 cans (14 oz. each) regular strength beef broth-(I used 4 cups of water and 4 tsp. beef bouillon)
   1 1/2 cups dry red wine or water-(used water since I didn't have wine)
   1/2 tsp. crumbled basil leaves
   3 tbsp. chopped parsley
   1 med. green pepper, chopped-(left out because I don't like them)
   2 med zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick-(out of the garden)
   3 cups uncooked bow-tie noodles or large shells (about 6 oz.)
   grated Parmesan cheese

   Make the day before: ( I didn't this time, but have in the past) in a 5 qt or larger (I'd go larger) Dutch oven, cook the sausage until lightly browned. Drain off any fat. Add garlic and onions: cook, stirring until limp. Stir in tomatoes, (including any liquid) breaking them with a spoon. Add broth, wine, or water, and basil.Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Cool, the chill. Later, remove any fat that is on top.
   The next day: add parsley,pepper,zucchini and noodles and bring to a boil and then simmer for about 25 minute or until noodles are tender. To serve, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Makes 8-10 servings.
   This makes a very hearty soup. I have a 6 quart Dutch oven, and it was very full. Since I didn't make this in 2 days, it will be better today. I think I will add carrots to the soup next time. I made homemade garlic bread to go with the soup. It was a good meal. I never have made it with wine. One day, I might.
   I think I've found a good batter recipe for fried zucchini. I also found a good oven baked zucchini recipe. My next zucchini meal will be lasagna. Instead of using noodles, I will slice the zucchini length wise, fairly thin. I still have some home grown spinach I will use in place of the meat. I use low fat cottage cheese, drained, instead of ricotta cheese. I make my own tomato/spaghetti sauce. I use lots of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top. Of course, we'll need garlic bread.
   I guess now it's time to get up and make the cookies for Tim's lunches. An applesauce cake or lemon poppy seed bread also sounds good.
   Oh, and tomorrow, I am sending cucumbers with Tim so people at work can have some.

No comments:

Post a Comment