Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Grasshoppers Are Here! Again!

   The grasshoppers have arrived. Walking through them is like the parting of the seas. Sitting here in my rocking chair, typing away, I hear them hit the windows. Jake and Chip are having a blast trying to catch them. I never noticed before that grasshoppers can hover. I thought it was a butterfly, until I got closer. So far, they have not destroyed the garden.
   I weighed the onions that had to be harvested early because the deer squished them. I also counted them. 204 onions and 18 pounds. I guess I have my work cut out for me. They are spread out on the dining room table on pans. Luckily, we don't use it for eating. There are still onions to be harvested later. We also got 1 Roma tomato. More will ripen all at the same time. I washed the lone tomato and put it in the freezer waiting for more.
   We have harvested some pappy pan squash. Tim and I had never had it before. I fixed some tonight. I cut it in chunks, mixed it with Italian Salad Dressing and then scooped them out and put them in a bag with Italian Style Bread Crumbs and shook them up. I spread them on an oiled cookie sheet and baked for 15 minutes at 450 degrees. I fixed them with our Shake-n-Bake pork chops. It was a good meal. We liked the patty pan squash. It's a good thing, since we will be having a lot of the as well.
   Yesterday, I fixed 7 stuffed zucchini. I cut them in half, so we have 14. I put the in the freezer for later eating. I still have 4 zucchini left in the fridge. I was going to make zucchini bread today, but I played in onions and crocheted more of the baby afghan. I am almost finished with it. I also re-potted some house plants that were terribly root bound.
   Friday is only suppose to get to 67 for a high. Everyone is hoping fall isn't on it's way.
   I wonder what I'm doing for fun tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment