Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Just call me Dr. Doolittle

Yesterday afternoon, about 20 teenage male turkeys came for their grasshoppers. (I really wish they liked wasps.) I should have gotten my camera and taken a movie of them. Instead, I sat in my chair by the front room window and gobbled at them. (Some people have waaay to much time on their hands.) Gobble, gobble, gobble. And then there was an answering gobble. I gobbled again and got another answer. In a few seconds, all the turkeys stopped eating and looked at me. (They know a weird human when they see and hear one.) Anyway, after this went on for a few minutes, one bigger turkey came up to the window and stared in and gobbled at me. It was pretty funny, the turkey and I, gobbling at each other through a window. If I had enough bread, I would have started the "here turkey, turkey" call and tossed them a few pieces. Last winter, when the turkeys came by, they all charged the front door when they saw me through the window, knowing they would get bread. They were stuffed turkeys afterwards. I know, you aren't suppose to feed wild animals, but the turkeys expect it, since I'm not the only one who feeds them. I have to make sure the turkeys aren't around when I take my hike to the mail box. It would be even funnier if I had to explain to people that I was mobbed by a flock of turkeys looking for food and good conversation.

1 comment: